Understand your body on a cellular level
Written by Erin Yaseen, MS, RD
Master of Science in Nutrition
Have you ever wondered if what you are eating is actually absorbed in your cells? What does that number on the scale really mean? As a nutritionist, many people come to me in hopes to lose weight and reduce that pesky number. I rarely use the scale in order to give me the answer of my clients’ health. It’s incredibly important to look deeper and understand that the scale is just a number.
Instead I use a very accurate, safe, easy tool to really de-mystify the intricacies of the body. It’s called the Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA). With the BIA, I am able to get a more accurate measure of your Complete Body Composition, including your lean body mass, your muscle and fat. The BIA also measures your cell membrane. This lets me know if you are able to absorb nutrients inside your cell and your ability to detox harmful substances, such as pollution, out of your cells. The BIA also measures your Basal Metabolic Rate which measures how many calories you burn during a 24-hour period. And that’s not all! The BIA will tell us how hydrated you are by measuring your total body water and also how you hold your water. We all have water inside and outside of our cells. If we don’t have enough water inside our cells, our cells will not communicate properly which can cause brain fog, fatigue, weight gain and much more. When we have too much water outside the cell, this is a sign of toxicity and inflammation in the body.
Once I have your BIA results, I will design a personalized nutrition and lifestyle plan the meets your individual needs. I then will re-test every 3 weeks to track the changes and improvements over time.
Here’s a snap shot of the numbers:
- Lean Body Mass and Fat Mass: total amount of non-fat or lean parts of the body (muscles, bones, organs, and water) and total amount of stored fat. These numbers are measured in both pounds and percentages, and provide information about metabolic risk.
- Lean Dry Mass: Helps to tease muscle out of your Lean Body Mass.
- Cell Membrane Health: this number tells you how effectively your membranes are functioning and measures the actual health of your cells.
- Intra and Extracellular Water: water inside & outside the cells. This number is a marker of inflammation.
- Basal Metabolic Rate: the number of calories metabolized at rest during a 24-hour period. This number, interpreted alongside your activity level, can be used to determine what is an appropriate amount of food for YOUR body.
- Bone Mineral Content
BIA is a simple procedure that’s performed right in my office. Sensor pad electrodes are placed on your left hand and foot, and a low grade safe electrical current is applied. The BIA interprets the way the electricity passes through your body, and uses the information to calculate your tissue and fluid compartments. This information allows us to individualize a diet and lifestyle plan for you, and monitor its effectiveness over time.
What do I need to do to prepare for my BIA?
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours prior to the test.
- Avoid exercise and caffeine 4 hours before the test
- Drink 2-4 glasses of water 2 hours before your test.
- Wear socks that are easy to take off!
With your BIA results, I am able to precisely assess your current state of health, and provide preventative and nutrition care earlier. BIA enables me to detect an improper balance in your body composition before you develop more serious health conditions, and lets us know when your health is back on track.
I look forward to working with you and creating a plan that fits your unique needs!